An abundant, productive and bilingual workforce makes Laredo an outstanding business or industrial location. With a 2017 estimated population of 260,654 the Laredo MSA is one of the fastest growing in the U.S. In addition, there are approximately 399,431 people living just across the Rio Grande in Nuevo Laredo, Mexico making a combined total population of 660,085.
- Laredo College– Customized training and classroom training in many subjects.
- South Texas Private Industry Council -JTPA programs for OJT and classroom training
- LC Export/Import Center – Vocational training in cross-border trade-handling for Customs Brokers, etc.
- Laredo Job Corps Center, Ser-Jobs for Progress, Texas Careers, Southern Career Institute
Laredo College Education and Workforce Initiatives – Laredo College Harold R. Yeary Library and Executive Conference Center – IMPACT Innovation Center
IMPACT-Increasing Minority Participation in Academics and Career Trajectory)
- Office a University Transfer Credit Station (Guidance and resources for students to transfer to an accredited four year university in pursuit of a Bachelor’s Degree);
- Office an Advisement and Career Placement Station (Advisement on Credit and Non-Credit Programs and possible job placement with one of our community partners in specified industry, Laredo College Economic Development Center (LCEDC), Continuing Education);
- Office a Training and Financial Resource Station (Guidance and resources for business wanting to expand their businesses through training their current workforce i.e. TWC Grants, Programs, LCEDC);
- Office local, state, and federal entities that are recruiting students for employment for professional positions and salaries (i.e. Border Patrol, DPS, Customs); and
- Allow LCEDC staff to be on-site as the manager of the Executive Conference Rooms to highlight and operate during the use for conferences, workshops and meetings.
Cybersecurity Analyst (CySA+) Certification Program Cohort 2 & 3
- LCEDC will implement the Cybersecurity Analyst (CySA+) Certification Program via CompTIA. A certified instructor will be on site for the duration of 2 (two) 6 (six) weeks (165 HRS) of CySA+ Training for a total of 30 (thirty) participants. (This includes the CompTIA ITIQ evaluation, one exam voucher with retake, book and CertMaster per participant.
- Scholarships will be provided to eligible student in the amount of $3,333 for the program.
- Partnership with LCEDC, Lamar Bruni Vergara Trust and Texas Workforce Solutions Workforce Solutions for South Texas ($100,000 for certification program).
Lean Six Sigma Green Belt Certification Program Lean + Six Sigma (Two Powerful Initiatives, One Integrated Program)
- This program will dramatically improve cost, quality, and delivery for organizations by combining the strengths of two powerful business process improvement initiatives through the systematic approach of the Lean Six Sigma (LSS) program.
- Program is integrated into the Define, Measure, Analyze, Improve, Control (DMAIC) project management structure, Lean + Six Sigma and results are impactful, robust, and sustainable.
- Program immerses the participant in a hybrid-learning environment of instruction, group exercises, hands-on simulations, teach-backs, project presentations and review of industry case studies. Experienced instructors emphasize practical application of tools and share lessons learned from hundreds of completed projects.
- Scholarships will be provided to eligible student in the amount of $4,800 for the program which includes training for 15 (fifteen) participants.
- Partnership with LCEDC, Lamar Bruni Vergara Trust and Laredo Manufacturing Association (LMA) ($50,000 for certification program). For more information contact the Laredo College at (956) 722-0521
For more information on workforce training programs, please click on the following links:
According to the Texas Workforce Commission, Laredo MSA 2018 Report, the top five employment Sectors are:
- Trade, Transportation, and Utilities
- Education and Health
- Leisure and Hospitality
- Professional and Business Services