The Laredo community is made up of two districts, Laredo Independent School District and United Independent School District. The goal of each school district is to work together with the students, parents, teachers, and administrators, in the quest of having excellence in education. Learning is the key to a bright and successful future. By setting high standards, the districts play a crucial role in preparing the students to meet the challenges and demands of today’s high-tech, multi-cultural work place.
Total Enrollment: 73,904 (Both Districts)
# of H.S. graduates: 3,200 per year (Both Districts)
Major I. S. D.:
LISD – Inside City Limits
UISD – Inside & Outside City Limits
B. SUMMARY OF EDUCATIONAL FACILITIES
LISD Magnet Schools:
- Vidal M. Treviño School of Communications & Fine Arts, for visual and performing arts which includes the district’s alternative schools: Martin High School, Nixon, Cigarroa, Francisco Lara Middle and High School Academy.
- Dr. Dennis D. Cantu Health Science Magnet School
- Sabas Perez School for Engineering and Technology Education
UISD Magnet Schools:
- J.B. Alexander High School Magnet for Health and Science
- United South High School Academy of Global Business and Advanced Technology
- United High School Engineering and Technology Magnet
C. ADULT EDUCATION
- G.E.D. (Level 4), Laredo College, conducts customized training courses as requested by businesses and industries.
- Holding Institute and Lamar Bruni Vergara Education Center. Program developed by the Mexican National Institute for Adult Education (ITEA) and coordinated by the Consulate General of Mexico in Laredo.
D. PUBLIC SCHOOL VOCATIONAL
LISD- DECA, FHA, FFA, VOE, HOSA
UISD- DECA, FHA, FFA, VOE, HOSA
E. OTHER VOCATIONAL TRAINING
American Driving School Inc., Laredo Beauty College, Laredo Driver Training School Inc., and TCR Computer Training Center.
F. SPECIAL EDUCATIONAL PROGRAMS
Ruthe B. Cowl Rehabilitation Center, Laredo State Center, Laredo ISD Vidal Trevino Magnet School for Communications and Fine Arts and United ISD Business Magnet School & Health Professions Magnet School.
G. HIGHER EDUCATIONAL FACILITIES (City, County, State)
|Texas A & M International University||0||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Texas A & M University – Kingsville||120||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|University of Texas at San Antonio||150||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Southwest Texas State – San Marcos||200||No||Yes||No||No|
|University of Texas at Austin||230||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Texas A & M University – College Station||345||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|